"Brooklyn's Eighteenth-Century Lott House"
March 2, 2000
After months in the lab, artifacts are at last cleaned and pieced together, and a picture of gentrified nineteenth-century life emerges.
Left, a green edgeware plate (circa 1818) from the shell pit in the west field -N22.5W2.5. Right, blue edgeware from the same trench. The molded rim is not typical. (Courtesy Brooklyn College)
Found in the privy were a porcelain demitasse cup with gilding (left), a saucer with gilded rim (center), and a whiteware mug without a handle (right). These probably date to the last quarter of the nineteenth century. (Courtesy Brooklyn College)
The lid of a whiteware tureen found in the privy. The purple transfer-printed design is often called aesthetic transferware. It dates to circa 1865-1880. (Courtesy Brooklyn College)
Part of a porcelain chick (left) and a miniature porcelain molded pitcher with a corn design (right) found in the privy. Corn was one of the crops grown by the Lotts. Both pieces were probably used for decoration. (Courtesy Brooklyn College)
A point and a french gun flint found in N20W2 (Courtesy Brooklyn College)
Part of an Ironstone lid of a Toothpaste jar found in N22.5W2.5 (Courtesy Brooklyn College)
A tortoise shell hairpin found on the interior of the stone kitchen (Courtesy Brooklyn College)