A publication of the Archaeological Institute of America
(Courtesy Network Rail Archive)
For nearly 100 years beginning
in 1864, railway roundhouses
outside the busy city of York
serviced and stored steam locomotives
of Englandís North Eastern Railway. In
1960, when diesel and electric trains
had superseded the steam engine, the
roundhouses were abandoned and then
forgotten until engineers inspecting
the site of a new rail operating and
training facility discovered their foundations.
Archaeologists are working
to record and preserve the site, which
is still called by its nineteenth-century
name, "The Engineers' Triangle,"
before the new buildings are erected
on top of the roundhouses.