A publication of the Archaeological Institute of America
Letter from Virginia: This Old Colonial Coffeehouse
Volume 64 Number 1, January/February 2011
Reconstructing a long-lost eighteenth-century building in Williamsburg
Architectural historian Edward Chappell moves slowly through the empty attic of the Charlton Coffeehouse, inspecting thick wooden rafters and admiring modern workmanship that draws on techniques and traditions that go back more than 250 years. The wood-frame house is one of some 500 reconstructed eighteenth-century buildings in the historic district of Colonial Williamsburg, the seat of Virginiaís government from 1699 to 1780, and now famous for the historical reenactments that have drawn generations of road-tripping families.
As director of architectural and archaeological research at Williamsburg, Chappell oversaw the reconstruction of the Coffeehouse, which was torn down in the late nineteenth century. It is the first major structure to be rebuilt on the districtís main Duke of Gloucester Street in 50 years, and went up in an era of new fidelity to historical accuracy. Intensive archaeological and architectural investigations began at the site in 1996 and produced an extraordinary amount of data about the structure, in large part thanks to modern techniques like the use of microscopy to reveal the smallest of details.
The hum of the crowd of tourists outside waiting their turn to enter the house is just barely audible in the attic, a warren of small rooms that wonít be ready for visitors any time soon.
Eric A. Powell is deputy editor at ARCHAEOLOGY.Share